Thursday, 26 January 2012

Life of an Exchange Student.

I have 6 classes a week. I have no classes on Tuesday, One on Wednesday at 3:30pm (which is just as well cause Tuesday is student night here and drinks are super cheap) and my "Class" on friday, involves trips into NYC to the United Nations. Shit is tough. My room-mate is a bit of a d-bag, for want of a better adjective, he is the lightest sleeper ever (he even one ups you Caithlin Jones) the sound of opening my drinkbottle in the middle of the night wakes him. So i'm moving out, just waiting on a room in another a hall to clear out so me and one of the aussies can move into it.
There isn't a lot to do in New Paltz, so people drink. A lot. Tuesday night was student night, so after "pre-match" (the american version of pre-drinking) we hit one of the local bars P & G's. The deal of the night, $2.50 for any kind of spirit + mixer. Uh Oh. And when I say spirit + mixer, it's not the shitty NZ bar tenders version of a pour, whereby they stop pouring before their magic pourer stops it exactly on 30ml, just to jip you out of 5mls worth of alchy, oh no, here they free pour. So essentially depending on how generously you tip, you can end up with a 50-50 of Vodka and Redbull. Recipe for disaster.
This was only made worse by my slightly inebreated self offering up a $5 tip to Jake the Bartender, who in exchange for my genorousity, shouted me, the british girl I was with at the bar and himself a shot of Jager. GC. However, my illustrious night out was cut short (at 4am) by some asshole who spiked my drink. One would assume it was instead intended for the British girl next to me, but apparently the 'frat pledgers' often have to do shit like that to prove themselves to the upperclassmen. Not an ideal way to end the night, was walked home (rather slowly) by two of the other exchangies (chur) and was probably the single scariest experience i've ever had on a night out (even scarier than the time I fought off two fire-breathing, racist dragons with my bare hands, true story).

But, back onto cheerier topics. I will describe for you my day today, and the three that are to follow. Today, my first class began at the leisurely hour of 10:30. I was done by 12 so went and sat in the dining hall for 3 hours will I slowly consumed my lunch. Then I had to return to class from 3-4:30. I then quickly returned to my dorm, chucked some shit in a bag, and jumped on a bus headed for NYC at 5pm, which is where I right to you from now. Upon arriving in the city, I will be greeted by Benny Bruno and Dad, we will have an exquisite and enormous steak somewhere, before heading to the Lincoln Centre for a Jazz Concert. The Lincoln Centre bar sits on the 30th floor, with floor to ceiling windows looking out over central park, it could be worse. Heading back out to uni tomorrow at 830am, but not because I have class, oh no, i'm going snowboarding for the day. Then I have a house party to attend tomorrow night (chore) and then on Saturday, I have to go snowboarding again, because on Saturday night i've been invited (along with another exchangie) to a huge party on the mountain, with legit DJ's and everything. FML. Sunday will either contain more snowboarding, or a rest. Then on Monday, i'll probably have to go to A Day to Remember, who are touring with Rise Against and are playing 20mins away from my Uni. But only because the techie one of the Brits met at the bar on Tuesday night, has offered us free entry and possible backstage passes.

This exchange business is truly dull, I hope you're well NZ.

Peace
x

1 comment:

  1. I despise you right now, other than the potential date-rape it sounds phenomenally more exciting than writing reports on gastroenteritis in Hawke's Bay (apparently there's been an increase in people shitting themselves!! Fuck me!!) and stuffing envelopes! :(
    LOL that you got stuck with a light sleeper, thou knows one must tread carefully around these people..
    anywho have a good wkend ex oh

    ReplyDelete